Monday, March 9, 2009

Dad




Not a single day goes by that I don't think about and miss my dad. Thirteen years ago on March 11 he passed away, for me March 11 is always a very emotional day.

My dad was truly one of a kind. He was smart and witty, unassuming and funny. He was the perfect match for my mom, and the greatest dad a girl could have. I remember countless hours in our basement with him playing Annie with my little sister and me. He was always Sandy the dog, and he gave the best performance panting and barking away. We would sing and dance around him as he sat there playing dog. He also loved to turn music on and dance around with us. Our favorite game was "run around daddy". I think he played this one on nights he was tired, he would lie on the floor and we would run around him. From time to time he would grab us and tickle us until we had tears running down our faces. Every night after a long day at work I remember him asking my mom what he could do to help, she usually replied, "play with the kids," and that's what he did.

My mom used to make me go to his supreme court cases when we lived in Virginia. I remember thinking they were terribly boring, but how happy I am now that she made us go. I have memories of my dad arguing important cases at the United States Supreme Court, and from time to time even making the Justices laugh. He could always make people laugh. They called him Huck Finn in a morning coat, he was always just a small town boy at heart.

My dad got cancer for the first time when I was in sixth grade. My parents went to Maryland for what they thought would be a few weeks of treatments, but ended up staying for almost five months. During this time my dad argued another case at the supreme court with a wig on his head, oxygen tank on hand, and a nurse close by. My mom would read his briefs to him sitting on the foot of his hospital bead. Many times she thought he had fallen asleep and would stop reading. As soon as she would stop he would tell her to go back to paragraph five second sentence over and re read that part. His body was failing him, but his mind was as sharp as ever. We knew our prayers had been answered when my dad's cancer went into remission, the doctors didn't think he would make it. We feel lucky that we had an extra 8 years with him. Heavenly Father still had more for him to do on this earth.

Not long after his remission, my dad was asked to be the President of BYU. For the remainder of his life BYU was his passion, he still argued a few cases, and did a little work for his law firm, but for the most part he was committed to BYU. It became a family affair, all of us spending time going to various BYU sporting events and activities. My parents were extremely involved traveling, hosting visitors, giving devotionals and participating in all BYU events. My dad stepped down as President just 2 1/2 months before he passed away.

My dad expected a lot of his kids, and we hated to disappoint him. In our family we always knew the two most important things were the Gospel and school. He was always ready to help us with school in any way he could. We all knew not going to college was not an option, and though sometimes I didn't want to finish, I am grateful to him for setting that expectation and for making it possible.

Though it breaks my heart that my dad was never here to be a part of my kids lives, I am grateful he got to know Brett. My dad and Brett's dad went to Boy's State together as small town Arizona high school students, lived in the dorms together, and double dated together. After their missions and getting married our parents lived in the same apartment building in Chicago while my dad was in Law School and Brett's dad was getting his PhD in economics. My mom cried the first time Brett came over to the house, he looked just like his mother, her good friend Louise, who had passed away about 10 years before I met Brett. Every time Brett was over my dad would yell from wherever he was in the house, "who invited Larry Wimmer over?" Brett and his dad do sound just alike. When we would all get together our dad's acted like kids, talking about girls they dated, things they used to do. We loved it. My dad loved Brett, and though I was young he told me he knew Brett was the right one for me. He told me it was the person who mattered, not the age. It means a lot to me to know how much my dad loved Brett.

On March 11, 1996, all seven children and my mom stood around his hospital bed as he passed from this life to the next. We all took a turn telling him what we loved the most about him, and then he left us. The pain of that day is different, but still present today. It is not as sharp, but just as painful. I think often of all the things my kids are missing by not having him here, of how different our lives are because he is not here to be a part of them. I didn't have kids yet when he died, and he was such a fun grandpa to the ones who were here. It saddens me to know my kids will never get to know his humor, his love, and that he doesn't know me as a mom. I like to think he gets to look in every now and then. Every time right before I have a baby I turn to Brett and ask him if his mom and my dad are saying their goodbyes, I believe they are.

I miss my dad every day. I miss him for the grandpa my kids will never know on this earth, I miss him for my mom, I miss him for by siblings, and I miss him for myself. He gave me my love for roller coasters, good food, ice cream, laughing, BYU and running. He loved my mom more than anything in the world, and taught me by example how to be a good spouse and parent. I am grateful I had such a wonderful Dad, I only wish we could have kept him around longer, but those things aren't up to us. I love you Dad!

22 comments:

Stephanie said...

Very sweet, and very thorough (thanks for making me look like a slacker). It's funny how it doesn't ever get any easier, just farther in the past. My heart always feels a little heavier on March 11. I am just so grateful that we all have the support of each other. I think that makes Dad happy, too.

tawnya said...

Oh, Melissa. That was beautiful!

Alicia said...

That was such a sweet tribute to what seems like an awesome father. It makes me feel blessed that my dad is able to get to know Hailey and hopefully many more of my children. It's amazing how influential a great father is. Thanks for that.

Alicia said...

Oh, and I LOVE your family picture! It looks so natural of all of you! I miss you guys!

ferntyler said...

wow! I know how much you love your dad but to see all those memories and thoughs written down - I could just feel the love and emotion (I'll admit I'm a little emotional already, but still..), the laughter, and the sadness. I'm sure he does take a peek and is SO proud!

Britten & Chelsea Maughan said...

I love you too sweetheart! That's my favorite grandpa-ism. Very sweet post Melissa!

Shelly said...

That was absolutely beautiful Melissa!! I know your dad is so proud of what an amazing mom and wife you are!! Miss you guys!!

Laura said...

i'm having a hard time writing through the tears. what a tribute!

diane said...

Your Dad knows what a wonderful Mom you are. What a beautiful tribute ro your Dad. You are a good daughter.

Heather said...

Melissa - That was the sweetest, most touching post about your dad! How fun to hear the stories and see a better insight about how great your father was!
He really inspired and touched so many people's lives. I remember once being at the Wilkinson center and your dad was greeting students and you would have thought I saw a movie star - I was so excited to say Hi to him! I am sure there were many other students just like me! Your dad was so great!

Maren said...

What a great tribute, your dad sounded like such a wonderful man.

Maree said...

That was beautiful! You made me cry. You're right; the pain of loss is never gone, just different. When I saw the calendar hit the 1-year mark of my Gram's passing, I was sad but also grateful--grateful that she wasn't in pain and was reunited with her loved ones. It's bearable because we have testimonies and know we'll see each other again. Thanks for helping me reflect upon my love for my relatives.

Christine said...

What a beautiful tribute and sweet memories of your dear father. He was a beloved man, so highly respected. He must be so proud of the choices you have made and the fine family you are raising. How wonderful it will be to live again as families, never again to be seperated. I am grateful for your example of faith. I hope all is going well. When is the baby due?

Heather said...

Uh... hello I have totally added you as you are one of my great Buddies.. we need to get together more often!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Melissa! This is your niece Jordan. I love your blog and I loved that post. Wish you could have been here for the Rex Lee Run yesterday! Love you, Jordan

Brigitta said...

That was such a sweet tribute to your Dad. I only knew him as the president of BYU while I was a student and what a great man he was. I loved when he gave the beginning of the year devotional with your mom.

Reading your tribute gave a glimpse of what he was as a dad. I am sorry he doesn't get to see you as a mom and know your kids. But you know he is smiling down on you all the time. You totally made me cry about the part when you ask Brett right before you have a baby if your dad and his mom are saying their goodbyes....pass the kleenex please.

Elder Turner said...

I SHARE IN YOUR SAME THOUGHTS MELISS. IT IS SO HARD, AND DEC 27TH WILL NEVER BE THE SAME FOR ME OR MY FAMILY. I BELIVE THAT THEY ARE WITH US MORE THAN WE KNOW. AND I THINK THAT THEY SEND US SWEET MESSAGES ALONG THE WAY. I THINK OF WHEN THEY BOYS LOST LOUISE AND HOW HARD THAT MUST HAVE BEEN TO LOOSE THEIR MOM. THE LOSS OF A PARENT IS SO PAINFUL. I WILL BE THINKING OF YOU...XO

The Family Rasheed said...

He sounds like an amazing man and I am sure he is busy doing some amazing work for the Lord! The one thing that brightens my day is the fact that I am eternally sealeed to my mother and even though she has left this earth her stewardship of motherhod is on going! I know that your Dad knows you as a mother! I know he knows your children and that they had many special bonding experiences before they came to earth! One day Jr was looking at the picture taken of my entire family taken at my wedding reception. I haven't really spent time teachiing him to recognize my mother in pictures and we don't really look at them much, but that day Jr looked at that pic, pointed to my mom and said Grandma Judy!! I know he knows her and I amm sure it is the same for your children too with both your Dad and Brett's mom!!!!

Kim W said...

I often marvel at your way of being an instant friend to so many. I'm sure that's something you learned from your parents. I hear the way you love your kids and how kind you speak about your husband. You were given a terrific example. Thank you for sharing! It teaches me so much to hear your stories. I'm not even prego and I'm all misty! Ha! Love ya!

Sunshine said...

Your dad IS so proud of you. I see what a wonderful Mother and wife you are and I know that your parents were wonderful examples to you. I think you also got your dad's sense of humor...you are one funny girl. I know that your dad watches over you and your sweet family and is so pleased. I love hearing your stories of your family growing up. I feel that I know your dad from all that you have shared. You come from good stock.

Jen said...

So very sweet! I know how influential a Dad's relationship is with his daughters. Your Dad sounds like a great great man. I could totally picture the fun you had with him growing up. There is no doubt that he knows how great of a mother and wife you are. I think it is wonderful that your Mom and Dad knew Brett's Mom and Dad. I know that the LDS community can be a small world, but I am sure that there was reason for their relationships with each other. Thanks for sharing this wonderful tribute with me.

most notably... said...

Dear Melissa,
I, too, am grateful that Becky sent me the link to your blog. You write with such candor that I was moved to tears, even when reading the funny stories. Becky swears that we were separated at birth and I truly connected with so much of the life you share through blogging. Especially, the loss of a parent. Though from very different worlds, your dad and my mom have many similar qualities: love of and devotion to their families above all else. Grief is so unpredictable and I read somewhere that it is like water in a reservoir. Most of the time it is contained neatly within its walls but when it overflows the grief can overpower anything in its path. Thank you so very much for sharing your story because it helps tremendously during the 'rainy season' to know that we are not alone!
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!
Fondly, Neely