Sunday, September 21, 2008

Nana Comes to Visit!



Everyone is happy when Nana is here. I am happy because I have my mom here to talk to, go walking with, take me shopping, take us out to lunch and dinner, play with my kids etc....The kids are happy because she caters to their every desire. She plays endless games with them, tells the best bedtime stories, gives the best baths (seriously for weeks after she leaves the boys ask us to do the bath like Nana does, we can never get it right, we are not quite sure what kind of magic she puts in the bath), take them on walks and buy them toys. Sam loves bossing Nana around because she will do whatever he asks. He always bosses me around, but I am not always as obliging as she is. She seriously does whatever he tells her too. Brett is happy because the rest of us are! She is so easy to have around, we all love her so much. When I watch my mom with my kids I am reminded of what a great mom she was. She had seven children and still always had time to build a fort, play dolls, listen, talk, tell stories, take us places and spend time with us. I always knew my mom loved being a mom, I always knew she loved us, I always knew she was doing exactly what she wanted to be doing by being with us. I hope my kids feel that from me. Anyway-here are pictures of some of the fun things we did while she was here.



The carousel at Sea Port Village. Sea Port Village holds special significance for my mom and me because growing up we used to come to San Diego every year when BYU played in the Holiday Bowl. We always stayed in the Marriot right on the harbor and walked over to Sea Port Village every day. I feel a little piece of my dad when we are there and a little bit like a kid again.

View of Coronado and the boats

Carter loved the Parrot Man at Sea Port Village. Sam was a little leery of him, but Carter was loving it!

This is how my boys fell asleep every night while Nana was here. She would climb in the bottom bunk with both of them, tell stories and let them smother her. They were in heaven! The last night she was here she even slept down there with them. I am sure she had a fabulous night sleep!
It was so hard to let Nana leave. Sam screamed for at least twenty minutes that he needed his Nana. Jacob told me he had a hard time at his football game because he knew Nana was leaving and he wouldn't be able to play with her anymore. Carter told me we need to go to Nana's house soon, he missed her too much. Sam woke up this morning still asking for her. Maybe we can get her to move in! She is starting her three year calling as "Matron" (she hates that title, she thinks it makes her sound old) of the Jordan River Temple next month. She and her husband are going to be President and Matron of the temple. I am sure it will be a great experience, but she is going to be busy, and that is hard for us. She promises she can still come visit and will be available some of the time when we go there, but it will still be hard. I am very selfish with my mom, I know it's not a good quality, but I can't help it. Maybe if she weren't so wonderful I wouldn't feel that way. It's her fault I like her so much! I am grateful for this trip we had and I know my kids will always remember it. Thanks Mom, we love you!

8 comments:

diane said...

I want to be like your mom when I have grandkids. I love that they are so close.

Laura said...

Melissa, you are so blessed to have such an awesome, totally loving Mom. And, you must make her proud because you are just that kind of Mom to your kids too! I'm so glad you all had such a wonderful time together. Good luck with the withdrawals! :)

Harper Family said...

Your so lucky to have a great mother that is connected to you and your family. Also, she is beautiful!!

The Family Rasheed said...

What a wonderful blessing mom's are, especially when they become grandma's! You'r mom sounds so awesome! What a great gift!

Ashley said...

Those pictures of her in bed with Carter and Jake are priceless. Nana does rock, I must say. I am glad that she does stuff like that. Your boys look so old, like older than when I saw them three months ago.

ferntyler said...

I'm so glad she got to come before she gets into her other duties - I hope you can survive the withdrawal! The memories of your dad are neat - its amazing how going somewhere/seeing something can be such a reminder. You are definitely your mother's daughter, because I can't think of anybody that is better at just enjoying the time she has with her kids and being a mom :)

Alicia said...

So fun! That's exciting that your mom will be the matron at the temple! We live like...5 minutes away from it. We just heard from the current temple president and matron and they were really great too. I hope we get to hear your mom sometime too! What fun to have grandma around!

Laurie said...

That made me cry! What a sweet tribute to your mom. It was fun to picture her doing all those things with your kids. You are so much like her!