Monday, September 1, 2008

Wedding Bells!


Last weekend my niece Chelsea got married in the Salt Lake Temple, and I was lucky enough to attend. Might I add that I went without my kids, as did my other sisters, so we had a wedding and a bit of a sister party too. It was weird being at my mom's house without all of our kids, it seemed so quiet and we were actually able to get ready and go somewhere without managing what seems like hundreds of kids. Anyway, it was such a wonderful experience to go to a wedding for a niece who has been part of your life since you were little. I remember well the morning of March 31, 1987, I was in the sixth grade and my sister Diana called to tell me I had another niece. I was so excited and could hardly make it through the day at school until I got to go see her at the hospital. There is nothing better for a twelve year old girl than having a live baby doll around to hold and play with. My very unprotective sister let me carry her around the mall when she was only 48 hours old (hmmm, I wonder where I get it from). Chelsea gave us hours of entertainment; the kitty on the hanger, Ikers eating the butterfly, Rella pretty, had many nicknames, Mogli, baby lotion, baby Shamu, Man Cub....I loved her like crazy...man was she a cutie. My two other sisters and I fought over who got to babysit her, I didn't know how good Diana had it. I can't believe she's all grown up and married.
It was a beautiful day from the ceremony performed by Brittan's mission president, to the reception in my brothers amazing back yard. My very talented sister made Chelsea's wedding dress, her own wedding suit for the ceremony, and all the bridesmaid skirts. How I wish I could sew like her! The day was perfect, a perfect beginning.
I love you Chelsea and we are so happy for you! (By the way Ash, I totally stole this picture from your blog, I forgot to bring my camera to the wedding and Wendy doesn't know how to send the pictures to me.)

9 comments:

Laura said...

So nice! I'm so glad you were able to go and enjoy.

ferntyler said...

sounded like so much fun, although I do feel a little bad for that poor frozen yogurt machine, working hard all night!

ferntyler said...

oh, and I LOVE hearing your memories from when she was born - that is so cool..

Ashley said...

No big deal, I do not have a copyright on it. It was awesome wasn't it? I mean, weddings are always nice, but especially when you have twenty one years of good history with the bride. It was definitely fun to have so many aunts as nannies.

diane said...

I'm very interested in wedding posts these days. What a cute couple.

Alicia said...

So fun! I'm glad you got the chance to go to it! I'm sure she loved it!

Sunshine said...

Wow! I would love to sew like your sister too. What a beautiful picture. I'm so glad you went and had fun with your sisters.

The Family Rasheed said...

I have a niece like that. They are so fun! What a cute dress!

Britten & Chelsea Maughan said...

Melissa thanks for the wedding tribute post- you were always the best aunt to me and I was so excited to have you at my wedding festivities! I love you blog and your beautiful boys. I'm at maughanstertalk.blogspot.com if you want to stay in touch!