Thursday, August 19, 2010

I'm going to miss this.....




r




How can I leave this? How can I leave any of it? My friend said it was sad that I was taking so many pictures at the beach today, she knew it was because I know this may be one of our last beach days. School starts on Wednesday and this summer is the last for me in San Diego. Going to the beach with these good friends of mine and their kids has become such a regular occurrence that we rarely think to take pictures anymore. Today, however, I was a little camera happy. I need to record these precious memories (you should have been there Sunshine, I of course didn't have my camera on Tuesday. We'll have to go back). I love the beach, I really love the beach. It's such a perfect place where all my kids are happy, I get to enjoy the beauty of the beach, watch my kids have fun, and talk with my friends. What could be better?

I think I am still in denial over moving. At first I cried a lot, I thought of all the things I would miss, the people I would miss, now I am just in denial. I thought my house would sell quickly, which it didn't. We are going to start school here, we put the boys in soccer, we are going on with life as normal, but things aren't normal. We are moving. I know we are making the right decision to move back to Utah, but that doesn't make it any easier. I will miss the weather, oh how I will miss the weather. I am used to taking my kids to the park in July or December, it doesn't make a difference, we are used to taking family walks after dinner year round. I will miss Disneyland, the beach, my school, my house, my neighborhood, living a short drive away from the Paulsons, the list goes on and on.

When we moved here we didn't have any kids. I have become a mom here. All my life I couldn't wait to grow up and be a mom. I know it sounds corny, but it's true. You know that song "When I grow up I want to be a mother, and have a family....." that was always my favorite. I began that part of my life here, and I have loved it so very much. Now I have to leave. I know most of what I will miss are the wonderful friends who have truly become my family. We have watched each others kids grow up. When we all met we had one or two little kids. These kids are now getting braces, starting middle school, and growing taller than their mothers (almost). I have seen babies born who are now getting baptized. I have watched families with one child turn into families with three, four and five kids. We spend our summers together, spend holidays together, Sunday dinners. We go camping, we swap kids. We know each others history. They know me. They know all my faults and quirks, and they still love me. When we've had enough kid time we go to book club, Women's conference, or go out to lunch or dinner. We throw a party. We support each other in every possible way. I can't imagine living without these people in my life. I don't know how I'll do it. I know I should be happy. We are moving back home, back to our families. We love Utah. I know I will love living in Utah. For now though, I am just sad.

5 comments:

ferntyler said...

wow - I thought I had come to grips with you moving, but I just cried for like 10 minutes! its all so true - thanks for being such a great friend :) I'm just glad we got a few extra weeks/months out of the deal...

Alicia said...

I am so sorry that leaving is so hard. Change always is. If it makes you feel any better, I'm here and you were around (even brought me dinner and threw my baby shower for me!) when Hailey was born and now she's turning three!

And you'll still have those friends. That won't change. Just think: It will be nice to have MANY places to stay when you go back to visit (because NOW, you don't have to use all the "vacation time" mostly in Utah!) I hope you feel better soon.

Heather said...

Melissa - I loved seeing you the other day and your post made me so sad - I just wish that we could have done more together because everytime I have hung out with you I have loved it! Count me in for a goodbye to the Wimmer's party! {Huge sad sigh}

Laura said...

Ok, I'm still in denial so it was so hard to read that post. I agree, for me also our friends are the sisters I got to choose! You know we love you and even if you really do move, (I prefer to stay in denial as long as possible), the friendships will never die. We all have a bond that time won't change because we have shared this precious part of our lives together. You'll be with us at the beach sometime next summer, regardless of your address!
Plus, since some of our children will inevitably marry one other, we'll always be connected...

Gavin and Shawna said...

First...I loved that glimpse into your head about this all. I love that!
Second...yes totally in denial. you aren't really moving. you are just going through the motions. you know i am a huge proponent for San Diego. But you also know we have moved so much...so my advice is...you can't see that green grass passed the big hill you are climbing...but its there. And you guys are going to be so great no matter where you are. You are such an awesome family!!
third...why are we talking about this???You can't leave us!!! I need you guys...Christian too...Shane too. (and probably Gav and Joel, they just don't realize it yet ;))