Friday, January 2, 2009

Why do we do it?

Year after year we load up the kids, presents and all and head to Utah for Christmas. Some think we are crazy, but our kids wouldn't have Christmas any other way. If you wonder why we do it, here are our reasons; Grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles all spending time together, making memories, and enjoying every minute of it.




Fuss ball at Nana's is always a hit




The kids loved playing in the snow, even Sam joined in this year. Our biggest snow lover was Carter, he wanted to stay out even when all the others came in for hot chocolate. Sunday was a rough day for Carter, he could not understand why he couldn't go sled.


Kangaroo Zoo with Lee cousins



Nana and her babies, Sam loves his Nana so much, as he tells me often.


Nativity with the Lee cousins. It was an off Christmas year for the Lee's which meant we spent the first few days at my moms before everyone headed to their in-laws for Christmas. My mom didn't want to miss out on the Nativity, so we did it on Sunday night with the cousins who were staying there.


Tackling Uncle Greg

Uncle Kendall showing Sam the Reindeer at Thanksgiving Point


Hot Chocolate and dinner at Thanksgiving Point



Wimmer cousin Nativity


Wimmer cousins in their Christmas jammies on Christmas Eve


Rhett and Tyler took Jacob and Carter up in the mountains to sled behind the four wheeler, this was one of their favorite activities of the trip.


Papa and Grandma reading to the boys

Eric and Laurie got a new dog, Mollie, a few months ago. The poor thing was attacked by Sam the whole time we stayed there. He carried her around by her neck and told us Mollie really liked him. We aren't so sure about her liking him, but she sure was patient with him.


Christmas morning at Eric and Laurie's


Christmas sledding at Greg and Michelle's


Jacob's snowman

Carter's snowman


Hot tubbing in the snow at our good friends Dean and Kathy's






Dean and Kathy had a dog for each of them, so thoughtful!


So there it is, the reasons we do it every year. It makes me so happy to see my kids with their grandparents, cousins, aunts and uncles. It makes me feel ok about living away from them if we can strengthen these important relationships a couple times a year. We can't overlook that I love it too. Dinners out with my siblings and Brett's, lunch with friends from high school, talking with my sisters, staying at Eric and Laurie's. It wouldn't be Christmas for me without all these things either!














17 comments:

Tina said...

Sounds like a wonderful Christmas with lots of great memories!

Elder Turner said...

THOSE PICS WITH THE WIMMERS NATIV. REMINDS ME OF WHEN WE WERE ALL KIDS. I DO HAVE TO SAY KENDAL STILL MAKES THE BEST JOSEPH!!! (LOL)MADE ME HOME SICK:(
GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU. KEEP IN TOUCH! HAPPY NEW YEAR! XO

Laura said...

Love the pictures, it's great to see you all having fun together. It's so perfect that you had tons of snow! Next year you'd better sneak a ski day in there too!

Laurie said...

I MISS YOU!

Sunshine said...

Wonderful! What great fun and memories. At least we get you guys the rest of the year.

Harper Family said...

So much fun!! From the pictures it looks like Utah had a lot of snow too..

Heather said...

Nothing is better than Christmas in Utah for all the same reasons that you posted! I love having my kids be with their family and cousins! What fun memories they will have!

I can not handle how cute your boys are! I also can not wait to see your little Mini Melissa! How are you feeling?

Shelly said...

That really makes me miss the snow. You guys are adorable!!!!!

diane said...

All of this and a white Christmas too.

Brigitta said...

We are crazy like you and pack up all the kids and snow gear and head to Utah after Christmas. My kids love it and I love seeing them with all their cousins, which makes all the work worth it. You are making Good memories for them!!! Unfortunately I am still doing the laundry 4 days later....

The Family Rasheed said...

Seriously Christmas without snow, family and friends is just not Christmas! I completely understand!

Unknown said...

Melissa, congrats on a little girl they are so much fun!!! I got to your blog from Christines. You have such a cute family. I run into Emily at the gym sometimes so she always gives me updates on you.
Amy (Mason) Van Moorlehem

Brigitta said...

I don't really know Diane personally, we met through blogland. I love reading her blog and her Shoesday and fashion updates. She makes me laugh and seems like someone I'd like to know in real life. Does she live by you??? I know she lives in San Diego area. How are you feeling? Are you due sometime in april or may? That would be fun sometime to see you guys. Your boys are adorable.

The Dailey's said...

I totally get it, we did it every year too and no one could ever figure out what was so special about Utah. It is all about family and snow. We loved the pictures, what an adorable family and I was so happy to get to visit with you and all the girls. We will just have to make it a tradition every year!

Jen said...

So cute that the boys had their own snowmen. Thanks for sharing all the great pictures. It is good to know that there are such things as White Christmas' You guys are making great memories with your kids!!

ferntyler said...

I totally know what you do it - because it's awesomely fun, and it makes you appreciate the comfort of home, as a nice side benefit :)

Stephanie said...

I can tell you why we do it--because it wouldn't be Christmas without cramming three families in one basement, cousins sleeping on the floor, dollar store stockings full of crap, and recreational eating sessions each and every night! Good times!