Monday, October 29, 2007

Brett and I enjoyed five wonderful days in Kauai while my mom dealt with fires and three kids at home. We owe a HUGE thanks to my mom for staying so calm allowing us to continue to enjoy our vacation even with all that was going on at home. The kids had an amazing time being spoiled by Nana while we hiked and laid on the beach. She took them to Disneyland with their cousins, played on the floor, made cupcakes, read books, did puzzles, played games and gave in to their every whim. School was canceled all week which gave her even more time to entertain the kids. On top of all that she had to pack up our car in case of a very possible fire evacuation. After we got back we still had a few days left with her here, and Grandpa Wayne joined us too. We went to Sea World and then the Zoo with the boys' cousin Ashley and Eli their first cousin once removed (the boys think that term is pretty cool!) It was so great to see Ashley and Eli! It's fun to watch your niece, who was the center of your world as a kid, grow up to be such a great girl, marry a great guy, and now be a mother herself. Ashley seems so happy and that makes me so happy! I appreciate all my mom did more than she could ever know, thanks Mom, you are the best!




As you can see our house is still standing after the terrible fires that spread through San Diego last week. Our backyard is filthy dirty with black soot, and the kids aren't aloud back there until they give us the ok to spray our houses down with water. The firefighters still need all the water they can get to fight the remaining fires, so we will leave our backyard black until everything is out. They are hoping to have the fires contained by Wednesday and out by Thursday or Friday. We had several friends evacuated, but luckily none of them lost their homes. Fifteen homes were lost in our stake, in our school district 350 families and 20 teachers also lost their homes. Our prayers go out to all those who lost so much due to the fires, and we are grateful our home is dirty, but safe.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I am so glad you blogged pictures from your Hawaii trip. You look amazing!! Your mom is such a wonderful grandma. It seemed like she had everything perfectly under control. Can you believe all the ash in our yards?? It is crazy. Once we can wash it all down, I think I will need to go get a power sprayer.

ferntyler said...

whew.. crazy week, i bet it is nice to sit down and blog a little bit. Love the pictures (is that suit new?), looks like so much fun, I would love to see more pictures, assuming they are appropriate for your viewing audience :)
Your mom has to bet some sort of award - this was a rough week to be watching the kids! Sounds like they had a lot of fun, though..

Sunshine said...

Melissa you look so great (all that granola and carmel corn really paid off)! It was fun seeing your mom with your kids last week...she really is a wonderful Nana. It was fun visiting with her.

Ashley said...

Thanks for all of the adorning compliments. It WAS a lot of fun and we will have to do it again soon. I was just going to eat a sugar cookie but I'm not going to now after seeing you in your cute little bikini. Thanks. Oh, and I am so sorry about spelling Brett's name wrong. I always think I am being smart by spelling it with one t, but that's Steph's Bret, not yours.

Laurie said...

Wow Mama - sexy swimsuit? How rude. I will never again be able to wear a REAL bikini again. I'm glad you guys had fun on your trip. And I'm glad that you're okay and your friends are too. Did you feel like it was the end of the world with the raining ash? Can't wait to talk to you!

John said...

I'm glad to see that you two ate poi and learned the hula while I tried to save my family from the flames. Plus, your choice of swimwear indicates to me that you took a vacation from the Lord. That makes me sad on the inside.