Saturday, September 5, 2009

Bitter Sweet


It's the first day of school today
All the kids are on their way
with smiling faces, they're ready to go
It's the first day of school today!

This is the song we sing to the kids every year on the first day of school, they prefer the version where "first day" is replaced by "last day", but we sing it anyway. It's the best Brett can remember of a song his mom used to sing to them on the first day of school. Seeing as Brett's mom was in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and I am well known in my family to be tone deaf, I am sure it sounded mildly better when she sang it. My poor kids, I sing anyway!



Carter is in his second year of PEPP, a two year kindergarten program for fall birthdays. He was happy and comfortable as can be back in his same classroom, same teacher, same friends. It will be a great year for Carter!


Jacob was a little sad to start school, ok a lot sad. He doesn't do well with summer ending. The pain was made a little lighter by having two of his best friends in his third grade class this year. Bryce and Christian will make the year much brighter!



So I am a little late, just pretend I am writing this on August 20th. The first day of school is always a little bitter sweet for me. Summer is over, I no longer get to be fun mom, doing fun things with my kids everyday. My kids are now one grade older, one grade closer to leaving me. I love summer, I love hanging out with my kids all day long, I love being fun mom. Goodbye summer.

I am not saying there will not be bonuses to school starting. One in particular will be the start of preschool for my Sam August 26th. I love this kid dearly, but he drives my nerves crazy all day long. I cannot say it won't be good for us to have a few hours apart three days a week. I love you Sam, I will love you more by having a little break from you!




Sam was the most excited about the playground! Gotta love preschool!

9 comments:

diane said...

I love that you have a theme song.

Pre-school is a very good thing. It will be nice for you to have a little girl time with Natalie.

Laura said...

The song from Brett's mom made me all teary eyed.
Sam looks pretty darn happy about preschool too!
Farewell summer!!

Alicia said...

I love that you'll love being away from Sam. And I love that you'll miss summer. I think I'll be the same way. They're all getting so big! At least you've still got Natalie at home!

Heather said...

Melissa- We start school tomorrow and I have been dreading it! I need to borrow your theme song or do something to get us all excited about school and no more Summer - I'm with you I could have Summer all year long and just be with my kids!
It will be fun though to have some alone time with sweet little Natalie!

Laurie said...

That picture of Sam on the rug in his classroom is THE BEST. He is so stinking cute with that big smile. I'm sure you are smiling just as big...

ferntyler said...

That song tradition is so sweet - 30 years from now your kids will probably be doing the same thing :)
That is so exciting for Jacob to have his friends in his class - I mean, if you have to go every day you might as well enjoy it, right?
I just don't understand how Sam can be so stinking cute with all that mischief inside - he pulls it off, though!

Maree said...

Sam actually looked the happiest about school starting--I think you needed to include a picture of YOU on Sam's first day of pre-school! I'm thinking your smile may have been bigger. :-)

Ashley said...

Oh that Sam Larry and is it Jack??? look like they will be up to no good at preschool...hooray for you and for him. I think Sam and preschool definitely need one another.

Stephanie said...

Very cute pictures. I love that I can see your kids going to school, even if I'm not there in person. And little did I know, you have a first day of school song. That is very sweet--I love traditions like that, especially the ones that are passed down from generation to generation.