Friday, February 20, 2009

February Break

Oh how I love that our school district takes a week off in February. It's a special treat to have a vacation in the middle of February. We spent the first part of the week at my sister's house in Thousand Oaks. It is so great to have her only 2 1/2 hours away, an easy get away for myself and my kids. Jacob and Carter cried when we drove away, it's always so hard to leave cousins!





It was cold and rainy for the first few days, so the Paulsons heated up the hot tub for the kids to play in. After playing in the hot tub for awhile all the kids came inside and I went to take a shower. Sam realized he had left his squirt gun in the hot tub and headed back outside to get it. Sam, thinking he can swim, got right in and was sinking and thrashing in the middle of the hot tub. Meanwhile, Stephanie was arguing with Jacob and Emily telling them they needed to go back out to the pool and get the plates of food they left. They wanted to take a shower first and then go get them, but she insisted they go right then because it had started raining. When they got out there Emily spotted Sam and Jacob jumped in and saved him. This whole time I was in the shower assuming everyone was saftely inside. Thank goodness for Stephanie feeling they must go get the plates right then, thank goodness they listened and saved Sam. I was left feeling off the rest of the week. I had such a hard time sleeping, just imagining what if things had turned out differently, what if I didn't have Sam anymore. I know I complain about the trouble he is, but I love that kid so much it kills me. What if I didn't have Sam to boss me around anymore, to sing me songs, and to snuggle with me. I thought of all the moms who situations like this have turned out for the worse. I don't know why I get to keep Sam, but I know I am forever grateful. I have tried to appreciate him more, and not be so bothered by the frusterating things he does. I love him more than anything, I am just grateful he is still here.

12 comments:

Kim W said...

Oh my gosh! I'm totally crying right now. I'm so glad he is okay. I don't know how people deal with that sort of loss. I'm so glad you don't have to find out this week. Give him an extra hug from me.

Sunshine said...

I'm grateful too. What would I do without my little buddy? I'm grateful that miracles do happen.

Heather said...

Oh Melissa - how scary! I am so glad that everything is okay! Isn't it crazy how things can change in an instant? What a huge blessing that they found him.

Maree said...

I'm glad they listened and saved Sam. Had a similar experience with Hannah at a family reunion--only I'd had a dream before--I think to warn me of the potential danger. It's good we get to experience these extraordinary miracles in our lives. Now you'll hug your kids a little bit closer and be EVEN more grateful.

The Family Rasheed said...

Thank heavens for promptings! I am so glad things turned out ok.

Shelly said...

I SOOOO feel you Melissa!! I count my blessings every day with my little Brady!!! Give Sam a great big hug for me. We sure do miss you guys!! )o:

tawnya said...

Oh, Melissa. I'm so sorry! I'm so happy that everything turned out ok!

Jen said...

Melissa...oh my goodness. I am so glad that cute little guy is ok. How scary!!

diane said...

I'm so glad Sam is safe. Jacob really is his brother's keeper and a hero.

Jana said...

Wow, that is scary! I am glad he is okay. If he is anything like my Griffin, it won't have scared him enough to not try again! Way to go Jacob for saving his brother!!

ferntyler said...

amazing story - can't wait to see him after his swim classes :)
the cousins are so cute!

Ashley said...

Oh Melissa. That is sickening. These boys...